Digital Imagery, Graphic Design, Photography, Theology, Web Design
Artist / Personal Statement
"Nature cannot be commanded except by being obeyed,” wrote scientist and philosopher Sir Francis Bacon half a millennium ago. Experience with a lens has shown me that Nature reveals herself most readily, and most sensuously, to those who heed his advice.
Patient (but never passive) endurance of Nature discloses her as a theophany; and were we to greet the prosaic plantlife underfoot with the same naive wonder we bring to a night sky in the wilderness, that same vertiginous feeling of the infinite would be ours with every little weed sprouting through a crack in the pavement.
“Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything,” St. Gregory of Nyssa tells us. I therefore use my lens as a wedge, to pry the alien out from under the familiar in order to preserve the sense of wonder that is the privilege of every newborn, and of the newly-illumined into the sacred mysteries of rebirth. And possessed of wonder, we might take hold of what it means to be alive, boldly requesting such a disclosure from the microcosm of plantlife through whose relative stillness we may more easily discern the movement of the Uncreated Light Itself. May our fallen world be a lens onto Eden.
“It is our humble conviction that divine and human meet in the slightest detail contained in the seamless garment of God’s creation, in the last speck of dust.”
~ His All Holiness Bartholomew I,
Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople
Accomplishments / CV
* Two-page “Merit Award” feature in Summer 2006 Special Issue of Black and White Magazine.
* Solo show of photographic artwork at Borders Books & Music, Memphis, TN 2005.
* Solo show at Black Rose Caffe, Tucson, AZ, 2007.
* Solo show at the Back Alley Gallery, Oracle, AZ, 2007.
* Cover artwork and design, and typesetting/layout, of the English translation of The Path of Cinnabar, autobiography of Italian metaphysician Julius Evola for Arktos Media.
* Layout/typesetting for The Initiate: Journal of Traditional Studies for Arktos Media.
* Web design for ArtManna.com.
Hi Michael: Just stumbled upon your site and love your work, in particular: "Canals of Chlorophyll" (with its pleasingly open organic structure and radiant internal light) and "Quiet Gestures" (with its incredibly rich saturated otherworldly color and stillness).